63°

New to Boston?

The Bear Dens (too costly to maintain) now sit abandoned in the northern part of Franklin Park

Boston is filled with things to do and places to see. Whether you’re new to the city of Boston or just looking for cool places where you can avoid overwhelming crowds, the city has many hidden gems. We’ve compiled five places for you and your friends to check out and explore, each with its own unique history.

The Bear Dens

The abandoned Bear Dens, once a popular exhibit part of the Franklin Park Zoo, now sit ruivned in the northern part of the park, also known as Long Crouch Woods. The Bear Dens were designed and built by Arthur Shurtlecliff in 1912. They were closed by 1954 as they had become too expensive to maintain. A short drive from UMB, bring a buddy and come check out this historic site with its forgotten iron cages, deteriorating grand staircase and worn sculptures.

Coolidge Corner Theatre

The Coolidge Corner Theatre has been around since 1933 and today remains the last independently operated movie theater in the Boston area. Located on Harvard Street in Brookline, this classic art-deco theater plays everything from independent films, contemporary art house films and cult classics. They even have a program called “after Midnite” which they call “Late-night, weekend programming for the cool insomniac crowd” on Fridays and Saturdays. So bring a friend and come check out this Brookline gem.

Georges Island

In the mood to go somewhere you’ve never gone before (but within city limits)? Take a ferry to George’s Island. George’s Island is part of the Boston Harbor Islands National Recreation Area, and is open Friday through Sunday during the fall. The island is also the home of Fort Warren, a historic and abandoned Civil War era fort. So take a ferry and go explore the massive fort, visit the island’s museum, and have a picnic on the grass near the water. Just beware of The Lady in Black, whose ghost supposedly haunts the island.

Forest Hills Cemetary

Forest Hills Cemetery is much more than just a cemetery. It’s also an arboretum, beautiful garden space and home of many sculptures, art and architecture. Located in Jamaica Plain, the cemetery is also closely associated with other parks part of the Frederick Olmstead’s Emerald Necklace. Founded in 1848 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2004, this cemetery/park is a beautiful place to explore, admire and get inspired.