66°

Where is Leadership Leading You?

Are we all born leaders?

Nowadays it seems like everyone wants to be a leader. Everyone wants to be the one who sets the rules and who is talked about in the news. I’m a freshman, and I know a lot of freshmen probably want to be leaders. The question is: have they thoroughly thought through what being a leader means?

In my short time on campus, I’ve already seen a lot of organizations that have posters glamorizing leadership – like the Freshman Leadership Institute. I think these organizations are great. They get students motivated and involved on campus, but they fail to reveal that not everyone is cracked up to be a leader.

People only think about the pride and glory you get in being a leader. Some people think it’s a role where everybody gives you a parade whenever you do something good. If you look deeper, being a true leader is much more than that, and many young people might not be ready for it.

A lot depends on leaders. Messing up, though almost inevitable, is not an option. A leader’s every move is scrutinized. In most cases the successes of his or her followers hinge on the leader’s exemplary performance.

Personally I would not take a job that I am not ready for. Yes, being a leader is great and all, but it is also a pain at times. I ask myself, “Do I want to lead others instead of work on myself?” You have to have your affairs in order first.

Did we ever think of these things in high school? A lot of priorities change in the transition from high school to college. People must mature and grow in order to know what they and their community need. Don’t we have to focus on our education first?

Don’t get me wrong.  Being a leader is great, and we need leaders in this world. Nevertheless, having to lead is like a Rolex.  It’s shiny and cool-looking on the outside, but its inner workings are complex and require exacting precision.

What freshman enters college knowing exactly what he or she wants? Most of us are just beginning a new journey, without realizing how serious the job is. Settling in almost feels like a full-time job.

How would we know about leadership ourselves, by just stepping inside a new place? It’s hard to seek respect when you can’t yet navigate Wheatley.

It all comes down to this: every leader has struggles and accomplishments. We don’t have to look much further than our current president for a perfect example of that. Think twice before you decide you were born to be a leader.