66°

News Briefs

News Briefs
News Briefs

UMB to Hold Annual Career ExpositionAttention job seekers. UMass Boston will be holding its annual career exposition on Wednesday March 26th, 2008. Whether you are looking for a part-time internship or a full-time job, make sure you attend this event. It will be held in the Campus Center Ballroom on the 3rd floor from 1-4pm. For more information please visit www.careers.umb.edu. The Career Center will also be holding its weekly Career Café Series meetings, the next of which is on Wednesday March 19th, from 2:30-3:30pm. The theme for this weeks meeting is Preparing for Career Fairs and can be found on the 3rd floor of the Campus Center in room 3545. You can sign up to attended any meeting by calling 617-287-5519, or by visiting Career Services in the Campus Center on the 1st floor.

UMB receives $7.4 million Grant from National Institutes of HealthThe University of Massachusetts Boston announced that it will establish an exploratory research center for health and health care disparities in collaboration with Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH). The community-based project is funded by a $7.4 million, five-year grant from the National Institutes of Health’s (NIH) Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities. The center will be called the HORIZON Center to reflect its four core missions of providing healthy options, research, interventions, and community organizing.

Based on many years of experience in community engagement, community leadership, and coalition-building to reduce the impact of violence, racism and social and environmental factors on health, Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) has played a major role in the development of this center.

“UMass Boston is proud to partner with the Harvard School of Public Health in working with the Cherishing Our Hearts and Souls Coalition of Roxbury to address and resolve health disparities in our communities,” said Chancellor J. Keith Motley. “We propose to increase the number of local agencies, community organizations and residents who contribute to and participate in research, training, health promotion, and community organizing activities.”

Beacon Leadership Project Applications DueThe Student Affairs office is offering a two semester 6-credit course called the Beacon Leadership Project. The program will focus on dispute resolution, resume writing, critical thinking skills, and team building. Students will work in team to develop a service project that addresses a specific issue. Applications are due March 24th, 2008. For more information visit www.umb.edu/student_affiars/beacon or call 617-287-7953.