63°

Golden Memories Remain

You probably knew her as Ms. Goldie or Nurse Goldie. For 26 years she was a hallmark of UMass Boston Health Services, the first to work almost every morning, and not a single sick day in her whole career. Students and coworkers alike describe her as a caring and energetic woman with a smile on her face and compassion in her heart, but after 83 years of warmth and energy, Ms. Goldie is no longer with us.

Goldie Lengel passed away this past Valentine’s Day, having been diagnosed with a brain tumor and becoming ill several months ago. Patricia Halon, Director of General Medicine, remembers Goldie as “a woman of impeccable honor and extreme dedication to her patients, health services and the entire university community. We will all miss her.”

Although she spent her last two and a half decades devoted to the field of health services, Ms. Goldie came to her career relatively late in life. Like many women of her generation, she left school after ninth grade and went out to make a living. With her strong work ethic and patriotism combined during World War II, she laced up her boots to work in the steel mills for the war effort. A few years later she met her husband, John, and dedicated her energy to raising her children and encouraging them to go to school.

Later on, Goldie began pursuing her own educational goals and completed her high school diploma. She went on to graduate from Citizens General Hospital School of Nursing in New Kensington, PA, and at 51 years of age, Ms. Goldie achieved her dream of becoming a registered nurse. With a passion for learning, she then completed the Wheeler Finishing School, and in 1979, attended the Allegheny General Hospital Nurse Practitioner Program in Pittsburgh, PA, graduating with a certificate in Primary Care, Emergency Care and Adult Medicine.

Ms. Goldie started as a nurse practitioner in 1980 at Boston State College, and two years later brought her boisterous energy to work full-time at UMass Boston. During her 26 years at UMass, she held positions as women’s health nurse practitioner, Director of Nurse Practitioners and Interim Director of University Health Services, receiving UMass Boston’s Peer Recognition Award for “consistent high quality of service and demonstrated compassion in providing health care to the university community.” She served on several department committees and volunteered for campus events, but her favorite was the University Health Services Health Fair. “That was her event,” said Halon.

On February 19, Goldie Lengel was laid to rest next to her husband, John Lengel. She is survived by her son, Jeffery, and daughter, Donna, as well as four loving grandchildren.

Whether at the Health Fair, a check-up or a day at work, Nurse Goldie will be missed at UMass Boston.

Her colleagues at Health Services remember Nurse Goldie with a few words of tribute:”She loved her work, her life and every person she met. She approached each day with vitality and energy and enthusiasm, and her dedication was apparent to all those who knew her! She believed that all of our students and community deserved the best!”- Patricia Halon, Director of General Medicine

“For me Goldie was the matriarch of Health Services … She defined the true meaning of what a health care provider should be. She always made sure her patients left with a smile, and for many students, as well as staff, Goldie served as a second mother … The most precious gift Goldie gave to me was the privilege of working with her and learning from her, and in doing that she sealed her memory in my heart.”- Donna Federico, Laboratory Manager

“She was devoted to her profession, to the students, to her coworkers, friends and to her family. She was very caring and comforting. Many of the staff as well as the students confided in Goldie, knowing that she would have some comforting words to offer … Goldie was extremely generous, yet very humble.”- Rosemary St. Clair, Manager of Administration and Finance “She was the epitome of what describes the words ‘team player’ … There is no doubt that, during her tenure here at UMB, the students were her primary focus. She kept the welfare of the student first and foremost, and Goldie never let the problems of staffing impact on her treatment of the students … Thank you Goldie for being a great role model.”- Virginia Lynch, Adult Nurse Practitioner