66°

MORE to ME

When you consider that more girls ages 15-19 will suffer from severely distorted body image than get pregnant, it seems alarming that we have sexual education programs (or at least health classes devoted to safe sex and sexual health advocacy) and lack an educational system cultivating positive body image and debunking the media and social stereotypes of beauty. Until now.

In an attempt to urge schools to provide, and even mandate, body image programs, “MORE to ME” is looking for your support in bringing attention to the need for body image programs in schools. MORE to ME was created as part of the Experience Project (www.experienceproject.com), which uses online forums as a way for people to share their experiences in areas of their life, from childbirth to mental illness to immigration.

MORE to ME Program manager Sarah Silverman sought out the help of the Experience Project in creating an outlet for people to express their concerns with the media and society’s influence on body image and to rally people to come together to stop the madness. Silverman set up an online petition, available by visiting the foundation’s website (www.moretome.org), which you can sign electronically and use your voice to convince law makers that state and federal funding is needed for these issues. There is also an option of dedicating your signature to a loved one, friend, colleague or any special person who has inspired you to become active in the war against distorted body image.

You can visit the online petition and sign it, as well as make a non-monetary dedication to a loved one by visiting www.moretome.org. The petition will be sent to lawmakers in an attempt to show those in charge that the public sees a big need for body image programs in schools. While there are other underlying issues and risk factors that contribute to someone developing an eating disorder, the views presented by the media and society on thinness and beauty are prominent in everyday messages we hear and internalize. Take a step in supporting body image programs in schools and in ending the constant fight with ourselves over looking perfect.

Amy Julian served as the arts editor for The Mass Media the following years: 2008-2009;