66°

After Rock Star Life, Tambling Running Away with Opportunity at UMB

Everyday at UMass Boston, a former rock star wanders the campus unnoticed, not garnering attention – that is, until he reaches first base for the baseball team. Given Drew Tambling’s blinding speed, it’s easy to see why opponents get so nervous when he’s sprinting around the bases.

Players with Tambling’s speed are rare. But what’s even rarer is that this walk-on transfer student hasn’t played baseball for the last three years. Instead, Tambling spent the last few years in Los Angeles as the lead singer of Fate Lies, an emo-rock band.

This wasn’t just any typical garage band. Armed with a publishing contract, Fate Lies played in legendary venues such as The Roxy, House of Blues, Whiskey A-Go-Go and even the Rose Bowl. They played with such bands as The Used, Scary Kids Scaring Kids and Boys Like Girls. To get an idea of their sound, search YouTube for “Fate Lies,” and you’ll see a music video featuring a shirtless Tambling belting out their hit song, “The Waltz.”

However, the band eventually broke up, and Tambling, wanting to continue his education, enrolled at Dean College in 2004 (where he played football and baseball). “I chose UMass Boston based on affordability, location and the fact that the ocean was right there,” said Tambling. “Even if it’s in Dorchester Bay, where the fish can’t swim.”

Tambling’s humor is just one more thing he adds to this year’s team. “He’s got a good attitude, he’s very positive and he shows up to play and work hard everyday,” hitting coach Kraig Kupiec said.

Tambling knows that he’s not on the squad to crack jokes or showcase a team attitude. His primary objective is to run, which was decided the day he ran the 60-yard dash in an unofficial time of 6.7 seconds.

“Defensively, Andrew Tambling is the fastest player I’ve ever seen play,” Kupiec said. High praise for the center fielder, considering Kupiec played ACC baseball at Wake Forest University.

While his speed may be his calling card now, the junior with three years of eligibility left has his sights set on a more complete set of skills. “My role now is to be the pinch-runner extraordinaire,” Tambling said. “But with any luck, I can be the spark on offense that we need.”

Tambling’s journey from rock star to speedy baseball player almost didn’t happen. “I came to UMass Boston without knowing about the baseball team,” Tambling said. “I asked a hot chick on campus if we had a team, and she said we were pretty good.” And now, even better off with Tambling.

Besides being the heavy favorite in the “Beacon Idol” competition featuring singing performances from new baseball players, Tambling’s impact is felt on the bases and in the locker room. Whether they will be looking for a rock star’s story or a speed king’s autograph, it looks like admiring fans might be the only thing able to slow down Tambling.