66°

Canty and Kinch Are the Future of UMB Lacrosse

The standings may say otherwise, but the lacrosse season so far has not been a complete disaster. Far from it.

Currently, the Beacons lacrosse team stands at 2-6 with five games to go.

But it’s really not as bad as it looks. Just ask first-year head coach Matt Rowley.

“The thing you don’t see is that we held the lead at the half or the fourth quarter in five of our seven losses,” said Rowley. “We just need to put a complete game together. We’ll be able to beat almost anyone when we do.”

The season has also provided quite a few bright spots, like the play of freshman attackman John Canty. The Milton native leads the team in scoring with 29 points and has proven to be one of the most consistent and hardworking Beacons.

This fact was made most clear in the win against the University of Southern Maine, when Canty potted six of the Beacons’ nine goals. His play has been so impressive that he was named the Little East Conference Men’s Lacrosse Rookie of the Week three times. Canty is the only player to have been awarded the honor more than once.

Canty played lacrosse at Milton High School with current Beacons captain Matt Dunn. While at Milton, Canty was a midfielder, and it was not until this season that he switched over to attack. Despite his success, the transfer from Springfield College remains humble. “I’m thinking short-term right now, I’m just getting used to a new position,” he said.

Coach Rowley sees great things for Canty, and is optimistic in regards to his future at UMB. “[He] is a great kid. He is always positive and focused on the next possession,” Rowley said.

Canty credits his teammates with his easy transition to both the school and the lacrosse field. “The guys are great,” he said. “I’ve met nothing but good people since coming to UMass.” Indeed, there are many more Beacons lax players making some noise.

Just before the season began, the question of who would be in net for the team was still looming large. Then sophomore Aaron Pollock stepped up and answered the call.

Last season Pollock saw time as a midfielder, but this season he has started every game in goal. Currently, Pollack ranks in the top 30 in save percentage, and opponents have only been successful with the man-advantage a mere twenty percent of the time.

Every game, Rowley is constantly awed by Pollock’s impressive play and poise in net. “Aaron’s been incredible. He’s in net out of necessity, and he’s been unbelievable.”

Other impressive Beacons include freshman Jared Kinch, a product of Boston College High School. “He is a first option on both offense and defense,” noted Rowley. “He and John [Canty] are the future of UMB lacrosse.” Captains Matt Dunn, Bobby Cusack and Nick Thomo all provide solid leadership, while sophomore midfielder John Mahoney has been the team’s go-to guy on face-offs, having won sixty percent of his attempts.

Rowley reflected as the season draws to a close. “It’s been a trial, but we’ve grown a lot as a team,” he said. Rowley foresees great things for his team — and if you have gotten out to a game this season, it’s not hard to see why.

“We’ve had most teams on the ropes. Once we stop making the little errors we’ll be able to see the fruits of our labor.”