63°

Men’s Lacrosse KO’d in OT

Despite having a lead at the half, the men’s lacrosse team suffered another frustrating loss Tuesday afternoon when they fell in overtime, 8-7, to the MIT Engineers.

MIT sophomore midfielder Corey Garvey scored the visitors’ first goal and their last, netting one in the third period and another at 1:47 in overtime. With the loss, UMB falls to 1-6 on the season.

Things started out well enough for the Beacons. They got an early lead thanks to a goal from freshman midfielder Jared Kinch just over five minutes into the first quarter.

Junior attackman Peter Kovach netted the second UMass Boston goal at the 6:57 mark in the second quarter; Kinch followed it up with his second tally of the day to give the Beacons a 3-0 edge going into halftime.

Freshman attackman John Canty, the reigning Little East Conference Men’s Lacrosse Rookie of the Week, notched his first point of the day with a man advantage to put UMB up 4-1.

Shortly after, MIT’s Ryan Ballentine cut the lead in half, but UMB senior midfielder Nick Thomo and sophomore middie John Mahoney answered back to put the home team up, 6-2.

MIT’s Erik Zuk, a freshman attackman, cut the lead in half once again with only 10 seconds left to play in the third frame.

MIT freshman attackman Dan Piemont netted the Engineers’ fourth goal at 11:47 into the fourth quarter. With just under 5 minutes to play in regulation, Thomo found the net with his second goal of the game, giving the Beacons a 7-4 edge.

Just when things seemed to be going UMB’s way, the Engineers put up 3 unanswered goals courtesy of Ballentine, freshman midfielder John Kucharczyk and junior attackman Dylan Roden to even the score at 7.

UMB sophomore goaltender Aaron Pollock made 11 saves for the Beacons, while MIT sophomore Garth Grove turned the Beacons away five times.

The lacrosse team will be in action at home again Thursday afternoon when they take on Wentworth Institute of Technology at 4:00.