66°

Men’s Tennis Recap

Two streaks were broken in one day for the men’s tennis team.

Jovan Jordan-Whittier’s six-game singles match play winning streak was snapped, along with the Beacons’ four-game winning streak last Tuesday, as the Beacons fell to undefeated Little East opponent Salem State College 6-3 last Tuesday at Boston College High School.

It was the first time that Jordan-Whittier had lost a singles match since February 29, when he lost to Ken Van Tilburg of MIT 7-5, 7-6 (8-6), 8-10.

At the time, Van Tilburg was ranked 23rd in the Northeast Region by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association.

Jordan-Whittier’s streak was snapped by Salem State’s Adrien Malosse, a sophomore and North Broward Preparatory School (FL) graduate.

Paul Braude won his third-straight singles match, defeating the Vikings’ Rob Thomas 6-4, 6-0, while Reinaldo Lopes followed up his breathtaking singles victory from a week prior to beat Salem State’s Brian Carson 2-6, 7-5, 6-0.

Ali Al-Sabbagh, after being named the Little East’s Rookie of the Week for his performance in the second week of April, lost both matches.

In singles play, Al-Sabbagh lost to Kyle Watson 7-5, 3-6, 6-4, and in his doubles match with Matthias Busch, lost 8-3 against Salem State’s Rob Thomas and Kyle Thompson.

The loss drops the Beacons to 2-2 in the Little East – good enough for fourth place – while their overall record falls to 4-6.

The Beacons face UMass Dartmouth and Johnson & Wales University to finish up their regular season before they prepare for the Little East Tournament, which starts Friday, April 25.

UMass Boston has not won the tournament since 1990, when they were led by Tom Savoie, Stephen Krause, Kevin Counter, Pat Finnegan, Oscar Jara and Dave Bouley.