66°

Beacons Open Conference Schedule on a High Note

Using solid pitching and a clicking offense, the Beacons carried their winning ways into Little East Conference play, sweeping a doubleheader at Western Connecticut State March 30 on a rain-soaked field.

The first game was a blowout, as the Beacons’ bats got hot with seven hitters collecting at least two hits in a 12-1 rout. The second game was a tightly played battle, but the Beacons came from behind to win 5-3 and improve to 2-0 in LEC play (7-9 overall).

Nick Conway led the charge in game one, turning in a virtuoso performance that the Beacons have come to expect from their ace. The senior captain tossed seven strong innings, allowing one run while striking out 11. Conway ended his day retiring the final nine hitters that he faced.

“He was on cruise control,” catcher Tim Fontaine said. “It almost looked effortless.”

Fontaine was one of the hitters pounding Western Connecticut’s beleaguered staff, collecting two hits and two RBI’s. Casey Rice, Eric Salvador, Matt Reich, Mike Dorval and Danny Arenas also contributed two hits apiece, while centerfielder Jake Chastain led the team with three hits.

The soggy field couldn’t slow down the bats, especially when Arenas and Dorval cleared the walls with mammoth blasts. Arenas’ home run was part of a seven-run sixth inning that broke open a 4-1 game.

“Everybody was loose and having fun,” Fontaine said. “That led to the big game.”

In the second game, Western Connecticut put up a fight before succumbing to a late-charging Beacons offense. UMass Boston scored three times in the seventh inning to overcome a 3-2 deficit.

Once again, the pitching was the key for the Beacons. Starter Mike Andriano was solid, pitching five innings while allowing three runs. Mike Cain came into relieve, pitching the sixth and grabbing up an opportunistic win. The freshman improved to 3-0 on the season, with all three coming from the bullpen.

The key of the day was Tom Michael, who came in from right field to pitch the final three innings, collecting the save. Michael allowed two hits but no runs and struck out four, including the final batter that completed the sweep.

The offense wasn’t as explosive as in game one, but was still effective, thanks largely to Arenas. The first baseman enjoyed his home run in game one so much, he repeated the feat in the second game. The hulking Colombian finished the game with three hits and two RBI’s. Rice, Fontaine and Salvador each collected two hits in the second game.