66°

News Briefs

News Briefs
News Briefs

UMass President Commends Massachusetts House Life Sciences Bill’s Strong Support for UMass

In a statement released to the press, University of Massachusetts President Jack M. Wilson lauded the Massachusetts House’s life sciences proposal released on Valentine’s Day. The Bill would provide substantial funding for University of Massachusetts projects.

“I want to thank Speaker DiMasi and the House for the strong support for the University of Massachusetts contained in the life sciences legislation proposal. The Governor and the Legislature have recognized the University’s important role as an innovation engine for the Commonwealth, and we are gratified for this funding for new, cutting-edge facilities across the UMass campuses,” said Wilson. “This bill is an investment in the Commonwealth’s future. I am confident that you will see this investment paying off in cures for diseases, in the creation of new jobs and new companies, and in maintaining the Commonwealth’s role as the life sciences capital of the world.”

The proposed legislation contains $90 million in proposed capital funding for UMass Medical School’s proposed Advanced Therapeutics/RNAi Center, $95 million to create a life science center at UMass Amherst, $11.4 million in funding for UMass Dartmouth’s Advanced Technology and Manufacturing Center and $5.7 million for a stem cell bank and registry at UMass Medical School. The bill would also provide $30 million in graduate-level scholarship funding.

In addition, the bill would create a $40 million Dr. Mello Small Business Grant program, named in honor of UMass Medical School’s Craig Mello, PhD, the co-recipient of the 2006 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine.

Community Service Opportunities at UMass Boston

The Office of Student Leadership & Community Engagement, located on the second floor of the Campus Center in the Student Activities & Leadership Office, cubicle 2300.01, offers many ways to get involved with the community. In addition to many annual events, there are also many opportunities that can be found in the volunteer opportunity binders located in the office. If you are interested in getting involved, you can either send an email to [email protected] or call 617-287-7947