63°

Beacons of the Week

Rookie Lauren Duran has been lighting it up recently for the Lady Beacons hockey team.

Duran Duran, For SureSince her insertion at the forward position nine games ago, freshman Lauren Duran has been scoring at a torrid pace for the Lady Beacons, and she has been rewarded.

Duran won ECAC East Rookie of the Week honors last week for her three-goal, two-assist performance over a two-game span. Her plus-six rating over that span was a prime example of the positive work she always does on the ice.

Maria Nasta’s former team, New England College, is wondering right now why Nasta left.

Nasta Continues NastinessNot only does Maria Nasta lead her conference in points with 40, but she also has the distinction of ECAC East Co-player of the Week as well.

Nasta continued her superb sophomore campaign with a six-point weekend (two goals, four assists) at the hands of New England College and the University of Southern Maine.

Nasta’s 40 points are the most ever by a UMass Boston sophomore, and she is now only four assists shy of breaking the single-season Beacons record.

You may recognize this photo of Ashley Green, because she appeared in last week’s edition.

Ladies Get it DoneIt wasn’t exactly a Battle of the Titans, but in this match up, the Lady Beacons came out victorious.

Last Tuesday, the UMass Boston women’s basketball team shut down the 6-18 UMass Dartmouth Corsairs in the second half, picking up the 64-54 win and their third conference win of the year, bringing them out of the Little East Conference basement.

Led by Myrna Tanger’s double-double of ten points (4-11 fg) and twelve rebounds and Ashley Green’s twelve points (3-12 fg) and five assists, the Beacons outscored UMass Dartmouth 35-22 in the second half. The women also dominated the glass on “Think Pink” night, out-rebounding the Corsairs 48-29 and 17-6 on the offensive glass.

The Lady Beacons are now tied with Plymouth State University for sixth in conference with a 3-10 record.

Tufman Pacing Beacons HockeyBeacons forward Eric Tufman led his team to victory over nationally-ranked Middlebury College last weekend and, in the process, won his sixth ECAC East Rookie of the Week award.

Tufman leads UMass Boston in goals scored (17) and points (30) and has the most points by a Beacons freshman since Larry Mousessian registered 33 in 1988-89.

His game-winning goal against the Middlebury Panthers snapped a 15-game losing streak that began in 1991. The goal was his fourth game-winner of the season.

Information from www.USCHO.com was used in this report.

Photos courtesy of UMB Athletics.