57°

Letter from the Editor

Veteran’s Day, which will be celebrated this Tuesday, means a lot of things to different of people. It’s a chance for people to voice their opinion about foreign policy issues, discuss the military in general and the situations in Iraq and Afghanistan in particular. We over here at the Mass Media see Veteran’s Day as a chance to recognize the people who serve , and to share their stories. We are not making a statement or taking a stance for or against anything, but rather giving you a little look into the world of the soldiers and veterans who attend class and buy pizza in the food court next to you. The point being that, like every other student here, Veterans bring to the table a unique perspective and worldview that all of us, regardless of political leanings or strongly held beliefs, could stand to learn a thing or two from.

This week’s spread, organized by Mass Media Managing Editor and Army Spc. Felicia Whatley, will introduce you to some of the veterans here on campus and give you a little glimpse into the life of a student soldier.

In News, Caleb Nelson (a Navy vet himself) and freshman go-getter Davin Surin bring you the story of the second violent crime to take place on campus in as many weeks. Oddly enough, neither involved a student, but you can get the full story on the next page.

In Arts, Amy Julian gives us some insights into a new program here on campus that will help area preschoolers get a jump on their education, all thanks to some much needed grant money. It’s nice to see that with the State House practically having meetings by candlelight to save a few bucks, there’s still some change left over for important programs like this one.

Finally, flip to sports for some Ryan Thomas and Charlie Peters tag-team action as the two chronicle one of the most exciting sport’s seasons in the history of our fair University (with all due respect to the Chess and Sailing teams).

Ben Whelan served for the following positions at The Mass Media for the following years: Editor-in-Chief: Spring 2009; 2009-2010. News Editor: Spring 2008; Fall 2008 Sports Editor: 2006-2007