66°

Wick’s Two Cents

There are always topics to ponder and opinions to take in the expanse of Boston sports. Every week, the Mass Media will talk to Alan Wickstrom, UMB’s Sports Information Director, and get his opinion on a relevant Boston sports topic.

This week, Alan tells us what the Red Sox biggest need is going into the 2009 season.

They need to address the catching situation, no question about it. If they decide to bring Varitek back, I think its solely based on the way he handles the pitchers and not only handles, but helps develop young pitchers.

If they do bring him back, Cash made 40 starts this year, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Varitek was limited to 100 starts next year if they brought him back. But they definitely need to address that situation and bring in a quality back up catcher.

I never got to see [Willy] Mays and [Joe] DiMaggio in the final seasons of their careers, but from all accounts, it was really painful to watch for people. Just to watch Varitek in this playoff series has been so painful. In the playoffs, he has looked absolutely overmatched.

If they’re gonna re-sign him, it can’t be for more than two years and its got to be in the capacity of ‘we’re passing the torch and we’re conveying experience to the next line coming in.’