66°

“Discovering UMB’s Cultural Diversity” Mini-Series

The UMass Boston Community has so many faces. Every face has a story. Sushant’s is one of them.

After arriving in Boston from Mumbai, India, on a warm sunny day in August 2007, Sushant Bhosale, who is currently completing his final year of a Masters in Computer Science at UMB, is still trying to adjust to his new American way of life.

Compared to the undergraduate school in Mumbai where he obtained his bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Bhosale said he notices many differences at UMass, some that have left a lasting impression.

“Overall, UMass Boston is a good school-the professors teach well and the students are friendly,” Bhosale said.

Born in a small village in Kolhapur, Maharashtra, and raised in Mumbai, Bhosale’s family consists of his parents and younger sister. If he were back in India today, Bhosale said he would spend his time taking long drives, going to the movies, and chatting for hours with his friends. When he visited home this summer, Bhosale was especially nostalgic, missing not only his family and friends, but his city and car, as well.

Adjusting to life in a foreign country has proved difficult; Bhosale contacts his friends in India on a daily basis through calling cards, instant message, and voice chats.

“It’s tough because I haven’t made too many friends at UMASS and I don’t know much about the culture,” Bhosale said.

Even so, when describing his new life in Boston, Bhosale constantly used the word “amazing.” He said he enjoys photography, playing guitar, and taking pictures with his Kodak Z812 camera at Charles River and Park Street. On weekends, Bhosale can be spotted reading books at the Starbucks near Park Street, a popular spot for coffee addicts like Bhosale.

His favorite place to shop is at the Galleria Mall, looking for his favorite brand, Abercrombie & Fitch. When describing the MBTA, Bhosale said he likes the public transportation here because it isn’t too crowded and takes him to “amazing” places like Revere Beach on the blue line.

And even though the once-outgoing Bhosale said he’s changed his Mumbai lifestyle to a more conservative way of living in Boston, he admitted some things never change, like watching a good movie. He described the movies as, of course, “amazing” because of the action-packed scenes and special effects. Recent movies he has seen are “The Dark Knight”, and “Burn After Reading”.

But because theatres showcasing Indian movies is a rarity in Boston, Bhosale said he ends up watching more American movies, which in comparison to Indian movies, he said, lack drama, song, and dances which he modestly claimed that he has not only grown up with, but is even good at.

“I miss the festivals of India the most,” said Bhosale.

One of the biggest fireworks festivals in India, Diwali, is celebrated for five continuous days, with the third day being jubilated as the main Diwali, or “Festival of Lights”, Bhosale said. The day is celebrated with people lighting diyas, or candles, all around their house, and Diwali gifts are exchanged among all near and dear ones.

“I would love to fly home for Diwali this October,” exclaimed Bhosale, before realizing his academic commitments would make it impossible. “All my friends and family back home would be dressed in new clothes, sharing gifts and sweets, and bursting fireworks while I would be sitting in my room doing some assignment.”

Although Bhosale has had to make a few compromises along the way of pursuing his goals and dreams, he said he is determined to make the most of the opportunities presented to him and to make UMB and his country proud.

“We have all selected our paths; life is just a mode to walk on it and make each day count.”