66°

News Briefs

Dr. Christian Weller, also of the Department of Public Policy and Public Affairs, has been widely quoted in national electronic and print media, and testified at a congressional hearing-broadcast live on C-Span-about the economy and retirement income policy.

Padraig O’Malley, who holds our Moakley Chair on Peace and Reconciliation, was referenced by Nobel Peace Prize winner Martti Ahtisaari at his press conference, for Padraig’s work with the Iraqis on the Helsinki Principles.

Going negative: pathetic, but it works Boston Globe (October 14, 2008)Robert L. Turner, a fellow at the McCormack Graduate School at UMass-Boston and director of the Commonwealth Compact, write an article about political strategies used by Senators Barak Obama and John McCain. Turner said that a central goal of both the McCain and Obama campaigns is to make the opponent unelectable. MA Economist Predicts Slow Rebound WBUR News (October 9, 2008)UMass Boston Professor of Public Policy Alan Clayton-Matthews spoke with WBUR’s Bob Oakes and discussed the state treasury’s sale of “revenue anticipation notes.” Clayton-Matthews talked about how such short-term developments affect economic recovery in the long term. Iraq peace process must be international effort, US panel is toldBoston Globe (October 9, 2008) Padraig O’Malley and members of a team that worked to produce a framework for political reconciliation in Iraq told a congressional subcommittee that the United States must involve the international community in further peace negotiations and allow Iraqis to take the central role in the process. “Divided societies share certain behavioral characteristics,” O’Malley said, explaining why he brought leaders from South Africa and Northern Ireland to share their experiences with Iraqis. “They identify with each other. They can bond in a way that they can’t bond with people from more normal societies, and that should be recognized and more efforts made to broaden the table at which people from divided societies can sit together and help other people from divided societies.” O’Malley also advocated for limited government involvement in future talks.

Crosby Talks on RamificationsWBZ News Radio 1030 Dean of the McCormack Graduate School Steve Crosby spoke with WBZ’s Lisa Meyer about the ramifications of Gov. Deval Patrick’s budget cuts.

Amid pageantry, a cultural lesson for participantsBoston Globe (October 6, 2008)Director of the Center for Women in Politics and Public Policy Carol Hardy-Fanta is quoted in an article about beauty pageants. “They really do have to be careful because there is such a problem today with girls and young women being pressed into early sexuality and early focus on weight and looks,” said Hardy-Fanta. The article also notes UMass Boston student Marisela López, who was crowned Miss El Salvador Massachusetts. Hardy-Fanta been selected for partnership with the National Archives for the Women’s Leadership in Politics national conference to be held March 2009 in Washington, DC. Lessons from MA’s Financial PastWBUR Boston News (September 30, 2008)Dean of the McCormack Graduate School Steve Crosby spoke with WBUR’s Morning Edition’s Bob Oakes about the revenue figures that Mass. lawmakers are expecting from Washington D.C. later this week. He commented about what these numbers will mean for the state’s services and programs and how it will impact the state’s economy.

As economic woes continue, JVS preparesThe Jewish Advocate (September 29, 2008) Economist and professor of public policy Alan Clayton-Matthews spoke about the dynamics of the current economy and said the debate over the economy and the slumping job market is still not settled. “Some people would characterize this as a recession, others wouldn’t,” he said. “It depends on how you look at it. Even though we’ve had employment declines, some economists will say as long as output continues, it’s not a recession. We also have an economy where part of it is working well and part of it isn’t. Every time [the economy] runs into a problem like this, we learn a lesson. In another 10 years, there will be another big crisis.” Clayton-Matthews is one of the most widely quoted economists on the state of the Massachusetts economy.