66°

Making The List

On Monday, September 15, UMass Boston’s College of Management recognized students accepted onto the Dean’s List for their academic performance last spring.

According to Andrea Goggin, a student services specialist in the College of Management, making the Dean’s List requires being enrolled in at least six credits worth of classes for the considered semester, and attaining at least a 3.6 GPA.

The reception was complete with certificates, cake, and for many of the recipients, plenty to celebrate.

“By making the Dean’s List, it not only means I put effort in my work, but also shows my perseverance,” said Chun-Ching Yang, a Dean’s List recipient on hand at the reception.

With good food, intriguing conversation, and a very inspirational speech from Philip Quaglieri, the Dean of the College of Management, the evening was a memorable one for deserving students, who, according to Quaglieri, would play a large part in shaping the future.

“During his speech, the Dean said he has seen people who made the Dean’s List in college have great success,” said Yang. “In my opinion, being successful has a great power to influence the people around you, [and] once you can influence people, you have the ability to make a difference.”

According to Goggin, of the 1500 students enrolled in the College of Management in the Spring of 2008, approximately 45 were at the reception to receive their certificates for making the Dean’s list.

Laura Fay-who transferred from the University of Wisconsin to UMB for the Spring 2008 semester-is a junior in the College of Management, and was one of the students recognized at the reception. Fay said she was pleasantly surprised with the sense of unity and accomplishment among the Dean’s List recipients.

“It made me proud to be part of UMass, a diverse urban school with students who strive to achieve more,” said Fay. “I am glad I attended the Dean’s List Reception, not only for the good food,” she joked, “but for the good company as well.”

Aside from looking forward to the accomplishments of new Dean’s List recipients in the upcoming semesters, Goggin said she’s also excited about a new program unique to the College of Management since Fall 2006.

“The goal of the Management Achievement Program is to help students build professional development skills and prepare for a job after graduation so they can stand out to employers,” she said. “We host a series of professional development events that could be career service workshops-such as how to write a resume, how to network, or how to find an internship-or they could be lectures from employers like IBM, Microsoft, and Price Waterhouse.”

According to Goggin, students in the program will attend events and get points that accumulate until they reach their goal, or total amount of miles.

“It’s a great opportunity for students trying to prepare for the business world after graduation,” Goggin said.