66°

Beantown Beatdown

If you are a fan of mixed martial arts, you do not want to miss this! The Northeast’s largest and most successful MMA organization, World Championship Fighting, is holding a cant-miss event on Friday September 19 at the Aleppo Shriners Auditorium in Wilmington, MA. Doors open at 6:30 with the first fights scheduled to start at 7:30. For those looking to get the chance to meet professional UFC fighters, WCF boasts some of the biggest names in attendance including UFC fighters Kenny Florian, Marcus Davis, Joe Lauzon, John Jones, Jorge Rivera, and many more, giving fans the chance to attend a pre-fight autograph session, starting at 5pm on the night of the event.

The event features powerhouse fighters, including a main event featuring UFC alum Sam “The Alaskan Assassin” Hogar from Season One of The Ultimate Fighter reality show, in his debut in the Heavyweight division. In his first fight in sixteen months, Hogar is looking to knock out his hard-knuckled opponent Braden Bice. “Both guys are really tough and I think it’ll be a great match up,” says WCF manager and promoter Joe Cavallaro, “People know Sam from the show and have seen him fight, but they’ll be surprised by the power Braden has.” Bice comes from a family of fighters and is ready to display his ability to grapple with the best in his fight against Hogar.

Other match-ups include undefeated local fighter John Benoit against WCF veteran Davin Wesinger in a lightweight bout, which Cavallaro predicts will “be a war”, and three-time WCF winner Dan Bonnell taking on Joe Cushman, who trains with Joe Lauzon, in a fight that will surely entertain. For full fight card, be sure to visit WCF’s website at www.WCFighting.com.

World Championship Fighting held its first show last September and since its inauguration into the MMA arena, it has spawned careers for local fighters and given the public a chance to see the next big thing in MMA. “You are able to see the superstars of tomorrow, in a 4000 seat venue,” Cavallaro notes. “Superstars” that include Dan Lauzon (Joe’s brother, who is in talks for a televised event) and John Jones, who fought in a UFC event following his appearance at WCF. WCF has gained exposure on ESPN, NBCSports.com, and HDNet, and has effectively “established itself as the premiere Mixed Martial Arts organization on the East Coast”.

Joe Cavallaro is no stranger for professional fighting and the business of mixed martial arts. Having managed fighters for years, longtime pal (and UFC President) Dana White was impressed with his strong boxing background and, Cavallaro notes, “he asked me to use that knowledge to continue managing the guys that you see in the UFC octagon now.” And he’s not just content on remaining in Massachusetts: “this is our fourth show and we’ve been really gaining momentum,” Cavallaro says. “Our goal is to expand, hopefully get a foothold in Philly and New York and to get on television.” Until then, however, to see the best in local and national talent in Massachusetts, be sure to check out World Championship Fighting on September 19 at the Shriners Auditorium, 99 Fordham Rd. in Wilmington, MA.

Tickets (starting at only $40!) can be purchased by calling 1-800-595-4849 or by going online, to www.WCFighting.com.

Amy Julian served as the arts editor for The Mass Media the following years: 2008-2009;