66°

World News Briefs

The New Gold RushThe world’s biggest gold refiner ran out of South African Kruggerands from August 28 to September 3, causing gold prices to peak at $829.19 an ounce. As a result, refiners of gold and silver around the world have been struggling to keep up with increased demand. Due to a shaky world economy, a weak dollar, and global inflation, investment in these precious metals has driven prices up. The price of gold has risen around 25% over the last year and is currently at $815 an ounce. Silver has risen 15% to $13.19 an ounce.Source: Bloomberg News and CNN Commodities Data

Ron Paul’s Campaign: More Diehard than Bruce WillisRon Paul’s “Rally for the Republic” convention was held Tuesday, September 2 in Minneapolis, where 12,000 supporters came to show their support for the alternative libertarian candidate. He spoke out against the current two-party system as being a single party of allied interests that swing back and forth to distract the American people from the corruption of Washington. He was also outspoken about the illegality of the Patriot Act and Federal Reserve. Jesse Ventura, a Ron Paul supporter in attendance, spoke out about his possible presidential run in 2012.Source: LAtimes The World’s Most Deadly Job: Being the PM of PakistanPakistan’s new Prime Minister Syed Yousuf Raza Gilani was unharmed after the car he was traveling in on September 3 was shot at. He is a member of the U.S. allied Pakistan People’s Party, which is the same party of the late Benazir Bhutto. Under Musharraf, the former President of the country, Gilani spent 5 years in jail for what the PPP deemed “politically-motivated charges,” and since March, has met with much opposition from both Musharraf’s friends and extremist groups.Source: Bloomberg News

Protesters Arrested with Terrorism ChargesEight protesters at the Republican National Convention were arrested this week and face up to a 50% increase in fines and a maximum of seven and a half years in prison under Minnesota’s version of the Patriot Act. The protestors were the leaders of the RNC Welcoming Committee, which is an anarchist group that had spent months planning interruptions at the RNC.Source: LAtimes

Obama to Offer Iranians “Change” as a ChoiceFormer US National Security advisor and current Barack Obama ally Tony Lake spoke out on August 28 on Obama’s intention to hold a set of serious negotiations with Iran “as soon as he takes office,” in which Obama is set to offer the Iranians a “choice.” The U.N. has monitored Tehran’s uranium enrichment at 3.7%, the uranium level needed to run nuclear power plants. A 90% uranium level is needed to produce nuclear weapons.Source: PressTV