Letter from the Editor

Ben Whelan

September is over, which means two things: Midterms are coming (boo) but it is also getting colder and thoughts are turning away from baseball games and fun in the sun to winter hibernation. A warm fireplace, some cozy blankets and a nice mug of Oktober ale from your favorite brewery (if you’re of age) is the time tested way to pass the winter.

If you don’t have your own hearth to call home, Megan Crotty has been out surveying Boston for the best places to grab a pint and the results of her research can be seen, in color, in this week’s spread.

In news, Felicia Whatley explores the new benefits for veterans sure to warm some hearts this fall, but what about the vets from previous conflicts left out in the cold?

Amy Julian has some tips on how to look fabulous while saving the environment with a guide to eco-friendly fashion. They can be safely burned for fuel if you decide you don’t like them.

Sports features a story about the Women’s soccer team, which is so hot right now that you could save a month on your heating bill just by watching a game.

Finally, I want to end on a sad note.

Wolf Jules, a student at UMass Boston, passed away in his home earlier this week. I had the pleasure of getting to know Wolf while I was the sports editor and he was an up-and-comer on the Men’s Basketball team. While Wolf was certainly an admirable player on the court, and a star at Cambridge Rindge and Latin in high school, he was a great man off of it. Wolf was a kind, gentle soul with an illuminating smile and easy manner. He was an active member of the campus community and his loss will be felt across the campus but also in his hometown of Cambridge where sentiment has been pouring out all week. We’ll miss you Wolf.