63°

News Briefs

News Briefs
News Briefs

Sheridan Appointed to UMass Building Authority

Robert K. Sheridan, President and CEO of The Savings Bank Life Insurance Company of Massachusetts, has been appointed to the University of Massachusetts Building Authority board by Governor Deval Patrick.

Sheridan was a member of the University of Massachusetts Board of Trustees from 2002 through 2007. At various times during his tenure on the Board of Trustees, he held the positions of Vice Chairman of the Board, Vice Chairman of the Administration and Finance Committee, Chairman of the Athletics Committee and Vice Chairman of the Committee on Academics and Student Affairs. He also served on the 2003-2004 UMass President’s Search Committee, the Governance Committee, the Worcester City Campus Corporation, the UMass Amherst Chancellor Search Committee and the UMass Foundation Board, and was Chairman of the UMass Lowell Ice Hockey Task Force. Sheridan also served on the UMass Building Authority during his tenure as a UMass Trustee.

The University of Massachusetts Building Authority is a public authority of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and is responsible for the provision of new academic, athletics and residential facilities on UMass campuses and the renovation of existing buildings.

GBE to Hold Benefit for Rosie’s Place

The Gifted Boston Entrepreneurs will be holding the “Kings and Queens Ball” on Saturday, February 9, at Boston Billiard Club (126 Brookline Ave.).

The event will feature viewings of fashions made for royalty by designers Lady Divine and Brian Stevens, a “50/50 split the pot” raffle and performances by reggae artists Riddim Rider and DJ T. Lawson. GBE will also crown a King and Queen of their Royal Ball, who will receive a complimentary bottle, special passes to future GBE events, and a gift certificate to dine at the Cheesecake Factory.

The Ball will kick off at 9 p.m. and end at 2 a.m., with a $15 admission fee and all of the proceeds going to benefit Rosie’s Place, a Boston-area homeless shelter. Keep in mind that the event is 21 and proper dress is required (no sneakers or boots).

Wilson Thanks Patrick for Support

In a statement issued on January 23, UMass president Jack Wilson expressed appreciation for the increase in UMass funding proposed by Governor Deval Patrick in his 2009 fiscal year budget submission. Patrick is proposing $489,758,814 in funding for the University of Massachusetts, which would represent an increase of $20.7 million, or 4.4 percent, over the appropriation for the current fiscal year

“This is a noteworthy expression of confidence on the Governor’s part”, said Wilson, “This additional funding will aid UMass in its ongoing quest to take its rightful place alongside the finest public universities in the nation and will enrich

the academic experiences of each of our 61,000 students.”