66°

Stone’s Stunner: I Still hate N.Y.

Mike Stone

Mike Stone

There, I finally said it.

I still hate New York.

Well, maybe not the city as much as I used to, but I can’t stand the Yankees more than ever.

I’m not going to be one of those fake people who used to root against them and have since changed my stance as so many have done since September 11.

Believe me, I was jumping up and down in my living room on Sunday night when Luis Gonzalez looped a base hit over the head of the drawn in Derek Jeter to win the World Series for the Diamondbacks.

True, I’m a Red Sox fan, and I’ll probably be accused of being plain jealous of the Bronx Bombers. While that may be true, I am just sick and tired of the arrogance that surrounds the ball club.

First of all, they are the only team in professional sports that don’t don their names on either of their home or away jerseys. This is done, according to the organization, because people should know every individual Yankee by their number.

Now if that isn’t arrogant, then I don’t know what is.

However, one thing has been aggravating me even more the last month and a half. After the awful tragedies of September 11, many people started saying that the Yankees should win the World Series. Not only Yankee fans said this, but many others. Get this…even some Red Sox fans started saying that the New Yorkers deserved to win it all.

Huh? Did I miss something here?

You are telling me that the Yankees should have won the Series because it would “help the spirit” of the people in New York?

Sorry, but the last time I checked, talent won championships, and not pity.

Hell, if pity won titles, the Red Sox would be celebrating every single year!

I don’t want it to sound like I don’t feel for those affected by September 11, because it hit me as hard as it did everyone else. But a World Series win wasn’t going to help New York.

The Yankees played Arizona tough for seven games, but in the end the Diamondbacks had the better pitching and brought the first-ever professional championship to the state of Arizona.

On Sunday, November 4, a changing of the guard took place. The Yankees have finally tasted the failure of trying to win the Series. As a baseball fan, I’m happy to see somebody else win. However, as a Red Sox fan, I am happier than President Clinton at a cheerleading competition.

Perhaps the Bronx Bums will now taste the World Series misery as Boston has for the last 83 years.

Here’s to a Yankee title in 2084!

Just to think, you thought I wasn’t compassionate towards the Yankees…