66°

Salting the Wound?

Again, the UMass Boston water system stalks our cover page. We are told that the ongoing problems are caused by lead in the solder.

We are lead to examine both the front page article and the front page.

“Money Down the Drain!” was written by a contributing writer, just as our original article about the water system was contributed. Being contributed, it highlights one design of a newspaper: to serve as a voice for the community. It also exemplifies another purpose of a newspaper: to expose the truth. In this instance, both targets were hit with one arrow.

The nature of exposing the truth has also been raised. It is not merely salting the wound, but a service to meant begin the search for a solution. In a democracy with a free press, journalists are free to pursue the truth, to present the facts that are to be acted upon by the people, (or, in this case, the UMB administration).

Not all newspaper articles deal with another inspired incumbent; many deal with events and objects. Most of the stories are about “this” wonderful event, or “that” precious object, but often newspapers write negative articles.

Actually, reporters usually relate the facts fairly close to the bone. It is left up to the public to decide if it is a “negative” article. Only in commentary should the writers’ opinions be divulged.

In exposing the truth a news article provides the information required to make an informed decision. Which course to follow may be further debated in the pages of the newspaper, and the resulting decision may or may not be agreeable.

But the ongoing purpose of a newspaper to inform the people has been momentarily satisfied.

Information that must be acted upon has been presented.