66°

Times Change

One of The Mass Media’s front page articles this week explains that UMass Boston’s College of Public and Community Service (CPCS) has revised its curriculum. The changes include the addition of new concentrations, an adjustment in the amount of competencies required to graduate, a revised General Education component and the integration of various skills across all competencies.

CPCS Dean Ismael Ramrez-Soto stated, “We needed to break away from the past and concoct a college that was looking forward.” These changes look as though they are working toward that goal.

Many students weren’t aware of what courses the CPCS offered, or weren’t interested in the college’s offerings. One of our editors had even attempted to transfer to CPCS but was dissuaded by a CPCS administrator, mainly because he was told “most of your credits from the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) aren’t transferable.”

With these views of, and experiences with, the CPCS being common, some of the changes were desperately needed, while some are benefits above and beyond basic requirements. Adding new concentrations that parallel ongoing developments in the world, such as Community Media and Technology, will make the school more attractive to prospective students interested in those particular fields. Integrating skills such as information technology across all competencies will benefit all of the students in CPCS.

Adjusting the number of competencies required to graduate so that it is equivalent to university credits will hopefully make it possible to transfer between the colleges here on the same campus at UMass Boston.

Sarah Bartlett, the administrative dean of CPCS, noted, “We made the changes because we didn’t want to get stale. It will never be done. We’ll constantly be tweaking the program, working towards a more coherent and cohesive curriculum.” We applaud the pro-active stance of the CPCS administration, and pray that the attitude is infectious. In light of the CPCS integrating information technology skills across all competencies, one is lead to wonder if the CAS should include computer skills in its Core Requirements.