66°

Consistency is his Game

Sammy Sosa is consistent. In three out of the last four years, Sosa has hit 60 or more homeruns for the Chicago Cubs. Since the Cubs have been in the playoff chase in several of those years, Sosa has had the added pressure of helping his team win. The Dominican born outfielder has not received the attention and recognition he truly deserves.

When Mark McGwire hit 70 homeruns in 1998, it was a great feat. Although McGwire hit 65 homeruns the next year, what has he done since? Sosa has hit 50 or more homeruns in four consecutive years and he has topped 63 homeruns three times.

Barry Bonds hit 73 homeruns this year while Sosa hit 64. Bonds deserves all the credit in the world for this great accomplishment, but Sosa is getting the short end of the stick again. To Sosa’s credit, he hit an inside the park homerun at the end of the year, when the playoffs were out of reach. He ran it out as if the World Series was on the line. Now that’s consistency.

To beat a record is one thing. But let’s see what Bonds does the next year. Sosa has proved to me that he is the homerun king, even though he has come in second place to McGwire and Bonds in different years. And just think, he came this close to playing for the Boston Red Sox. Ha ha Red Sox fans!