66°

Owls Outshine Beacons On Senior Day

Three different players of Keene St. scored first half goals as the Owls beat the UMass Boston Beacons, 4-0 on Senior Day at the Clark Athletic Center. The loss dropped the men’s soccer team to a final overall record of 5-13, and a Little East Conference record of 1-6.

Five Senior Beacons were honored at midfield before the start of the game: Michael D’Agostino, Orlando Torres, John MacPherson III, Joao Mendes, and Eduardo Depina.

But the festivities ended there. At 6:33, Jimmy Hogan of Keene St. took a pass from Luke Trill and drilled the ball toward Torres (nine saves), who got a piece of the ball. But the ball deflected off the right post and into the goal for a 1-0 Owl lead.

Keene St. struck again three minutes later. A cross kick from the goalkeeper’s right to left sailed over the heads of the gathered crowd out front. Owl midfielder Mike Monteiro collected the ball and quickly gave it a low kick back across the goal to a wide-open Caesy Banks, who hammered it home for the game’s second goal.

UMass picked up their offensive play, but the Owls would not let the Beacon forwards and midfielders penetrate too closely to the Keene St. goal. The Owls countered one Beacon attack that led the third goal of the game. Banks kicked the ball toward the goal, which Torres turned back. A wild scramble ensued. Banks came up with the ball and passed it to forward Jason Lombardo who popped the ball in for a 3-0 Keene St. lead.

Jason Campos served as The Mass Media staff for the following years and positions: Editor-in-Chief: 2003-2004; Managing Editor: 2002-2003; and Sports Editor: 2001-2002, 2002-2003, 2003-2004 Disclaimer: Years served is based on online database and may not detail entire service.