66°

Sustainability: What Does It Mean?

Through many international conferences, including the 1992 Earth Summit, countries from around the world have been pushing and urging their governments for “sustainable development”. What the explicit definition of sustainability is and how we can control the use of energy, and generation of waste and pollution have been great problems in addressing a worldwide agreement. A broad definition for sustainability has been generally agreed upon as being “development which meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”

It is not only governments that can take action against these environmental problems. Individuals make decisions on a daily basis regarding their impact on such world problems as ozone depletion, global warming, air and water quality, and acid rain. A decision such as taking the MBTA to school instead of a personal automobile, reducing the use of home energy, and reducing the waste your household produces, are all economically beneficial ways to reduce your impact on our environment. Think of a way you can make your lifestyle more sustainable, it is probably easier than you think!

Fact: Americans receive 200 million tons of junk mail every year. Stopping your junk mail can save a tree and a half each year.

Information obtained from www.eco-portal.com, www.stanford.edu/group/enviro-reps, http://department.stthomas.edu/recycle.