66°

Stone’s Stunner

Mike Stone

Mike Stone

Well, the saga known as the Jason Allison holdout has finally come to an end. The Bruins sent the embattled center to LA along with Mikko Eloranta for former B’s Jozef Stumpel and Glen Murray. Congratulations to the Bruins! Now I know most of you are like, “Great, here comes Mr. Sarcasm again.” Nope, no sarcasm this time. The Bruins actually made out pretty well in this deal. Perhaps it may be time to look for frozen flying pigs in Hell right about now. Matter of the fact is Allison was never going to play another game for Boston. He made that clear the day the Bruins announced they would not accept his proposed salary of $8 million a year (though Jason said that that figure was greatly exaggerated by the B’s). Allison is a quality player and will probably score a lot more goals in an NHL jersey, but frankly-he’s not worth $8 million a year. He had a career year in 2000-2001, but that’s exactly what it was…a career year. You probably saw the best season out of Allison last year and his numbers will most likely decline in the City of Angels this year. On the other end of the deal, the Bruins got two decent players. Both Murray and, scream it with me out loud, STUMPEL, have matured dramatically from the days when they used to play in Boston in the early-to-mid 1990’s. Bruins GM Mike O’Connell, who also coached in Providence, was very impressed with both of their development in the league. I usually rip the B’s ownership for stupid moves and being stingy. I can’t do it this time. With their two recent acquisitions, the Bruins now have a payroll of nearly $40 million for the season. Granted that is still little money for the sixth-largest television market in the country, but it’s Daddy Warbucks money to the Black and Gold. Chances are that when Boston and Los Angeles play later in the year, Allison will light up his former club for a hat trick. That’s okay, though. We don’t need you anymore, Jason. We now have the one…the only… JOZEF STUMPEL!!!