66°

Next Time, Get Out of the Rain with RAGE

Did the weekend fly by you again? Were you afraid to go out? Or just stuck here around Boston in the drizzle and gray, watching the hours tick away in raindrops on your window as you inevitably tumbled toward another week of classes? Well, had you fought that urge to roll back over and hibernate another five hours or so Saturday morning and gotten yourself to McCormack by 10, you coulda’ come out with RAGE (the Radical Alliance of Green Environmentalists) for their first hiking trip of the year!

It was only about an hour’s drive and a quick skip across the border into New Hampshire to get to Mt. Monadnock where the weather was clear, sunny, and breezy. The leaves were exploding orgasmic hues covering virtually the entire spectrum and the entire vlandscape, and from 3,000 ft. you can see the entire landscape! Also the company was chill, upbeat, even entertaining. I heard that overcast sky never cleared here in the metro area…that’s tough, man. I feel for you. But somehow the sky seemed to open up and welcome RAGErs with a warm, crystalline embrace as we headed north. So seeing as how Mother Nature was being so kind, we stopped along the way at a pretty sweet, little tucked away spot by a waterfall just before the mountain to dig a meditative moment before we ascended to the peak. On top it was 65 degrees of sentimental summer bliss, with a 365 degree view of the surrounding mountains Pollock-splattered with color. We even had a resident musician with us to play a little harmonious accompaniment on the harmonica as we paused on the way down by a natural spring to refill the canteens.

Rain can be tough sometimes, and the weekend is so short. Next time, if you’re lookin’ to make it a memorable one, check out what RAGE is cookin’ up. If we’re headin’ out someplace you’re more than invited. In fact, if you got an idea about a trip, drop a line to Erik: [email protected] and we’ll see if we can’t figure out yet another way to let the light shine down on another brief interim between the grind. Peace.