66°

Beacons Ground Hawks

Last Tuesday, November 27, UMB junior center Jamila Gales scored 21 points and three other Beacon starters registered double figures in points as UMass Boston easily handled Roger Williams, 83-54. The win was the team’s fourth of the young season, leaving the surprising Beacons at 4-0.

The Beacons came out smoking. The offense was set up down low, producing two layups and two made free throws. Senior Seiko Kudo hit one of her three first half three pointers from the left corner as the Beacons took a quick 11-0 lead.

The full court pressure applied by the Beacons produced several Hawk turnovers. The Hawks had difficulty establishing any kind of offensive rhythm, as it took five and a half minutes for the visitors to score their first points of the game.

The big lead early in the game did not make the UMass Beacons complacent. One such example of all out hustle was given by junior guard Kristen Bowes. With the Beacons leading 29-7, Bowes went flying out of bounds in pursuit of a loose ball in the defensive end. She caught the ball right before she crashed into the Beacon bench and flung it down court to a streaking Kudo who scored on a layup and was fouled. She hit the free throw to complete the three point play.

Junior guard Felicia Haynes had an impressive game, going 7 for 11 on field goals for 14 points, 6 assists, and 13 rebounds. She played a ferocious defense, forcing 6 Roger Williams turnovers.

UMass had a 47-23 lead at

Jason Campos served as The Mass Media staff for the following years and positions: Editor-in-Chief: 2003-2004; Managing Editor: 2002-2003; and Sports Editor: 2001-2002, 2002-2003, 2003-2004 Disclaimer: Years served is based on online database and may not detail entire service.