66°

Currently at the Harbor Art Gallery: ‘Trio Di Da Do’

There was a big turn out at UMass Boston’s Harbor Art Gallery last Tuesday for the artist’s reception of the current exhibit “Trio Di Da Do” where Dorothy Arnold and Diana Monroy ‘s abstract figurative paintings and Dana Mureson’s sculptures are on display at the gallery until December 12.

Group exhibitions tend to be difficult to organize – how to choose work from three different artists that will flow together in an exhibit of such a small gallery space is a considerable challenge. Ian Boyd, UMass Boston student and current director of the UMass Boston Harbor Art Gallery, did a fabulous job planning the exhibit – and bringing the works of three amazingly talented and motivated individuals here to our campus. Not only are the paintings and sculptures a delight to view and ponder, the overall continuity in the theme of the figurative and abstract forms are quite aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

Dorothy Arnold, a well-known 77 year-old artist from Boston, went to museum school in her fifties, and has since dropped everything in her life to focus solely on her passion, which is art. Her abstract figuratives have at times been the result of accidents, such a can of red paint tipping over, and drying on the floor – which she then peeled off and attached to a black canvas. One such painting is entitled “September 11″ and has two bright red splotches on a black background. Trees are a major subject of Dorothy’s art, as well as figures. However, Dorothy explained, Trees are like people, there are trees that fit in, and trees that are left out.” Her tree paintings are displayed at Mass General Hospital’s cancer unit. She said they are appropriately placed there, because “they are right where people get taken up into the sky.” Her work can also be viewed at her website: www.dorothyaronold.com or in Boston from June-July at the Arden Gallery.

At first, one may be tricked by the bright cheerful primary colors of Diana Monroy’s abstract figures in motion. Diana, who came here from Bogota, Colombia ten years ago is not attempting to portray in her paintings happy joyous dancing figures, which some may see, at first. She wants to show the day-to-day terrible struggle of those repressed people who live in her country. Her figures in motion represent individuals who are suffering, taking action, or in desperate situations, and are subsequently titled, “Anger,” “Crisis,” “Turmoil in Ice,” and so on. Diana Monroy’s studio is in Jamaica Plain at 128 Brookside Avenue on the 3rd floor, for any who are interested in seeing more of her brilliant, and thought provoking work.

Dana Muresan, a Mass Art graduate of photography and sculpture, hails from Romania. Dana, (pronounced Dahna), enthusiastically relayed her feelings about her sculptures. She said that she, “Enjoys the feeling of being tired after working, producing something, the feeling of accomplishment.” She enjoys the sculpting process. “I love steel. I love fire. I love what fire can do.”

Dana elaborated her point, and said that she loves making sculptures overall because she loves being around fire, and making something that could possibly outlast her. She was greatly inspired by her professors at Mass Art, where she learned about the process of steel-making. Dana feels that passing on your knowledge is important and she hopes to teach others what she has learned in the future. Dana Mureson’s art is on display at her website: www.danamureson.com.

Interested students should take a leisurely stroll over to the UMass Harbor Art Gallery prior to the end of the exhibit, December 12, to witness for themselves, the interesting fusion of these three magnificent artists. The galleries hours are Mon-Fri 11:00-6:00.