66°

Stones Stunner

Yes, we have all heard it before. A Boston team leaps out to a quick start and holds the top of the standings for a little while.

Then they choke-end of season.

However, the 2001-2002 Boston Bruins squad is quickly establishing itself as one of the toughest teams not only in the Eastern Conference, but in the entire NHL.

The B’s have scoring power, despite their early failure to put the biscuit in the basket. Bill Guerin, Joe Thornton, and Sergei Samsonov are all capable of at least 30 goals and 50 assists a year. Not to mention the newer acquisitions like Josef Stumpel and Glenn Murray are both candidates to light the lamp with great frequency.

On defense, the Boys on Causeway Street don’t have a lot names back there. However, the big one they do have is Kyle McLaren. The big man, if he can remain injury-free, will be one of the most dominant forces in NHL history. He is partly responsible for the Bruin’s luck with penalty killing. They currently rank in the top three when shorthanded. This brings back memories of a couple years ago when the B’s were the toughest when it came to trying to score a power play goal against them.

Speaking of memories, the Black and Gold have a dominant record against the rest of the National hockey League at the Fleet Center, a.k.a. the Vault, so far this season. The last time the Bruins were this dominant at home was back during the Boston Garden days. Does that mean they should throw in some ‘obstructed view’ seats to make it feel more like the old days?

Maybe in front of Jeremy Jacobs.

There it is, I just mentioned the name that makes Bruins fans, including myself, cringe. The B’s owner has never truly made the effort to take the next step for a title. However, with the near $40 million on payroll spent by Jacobs (or is that Scrooge?) this season, there could possibly be a playoff run in store or dare we might say it…

A Stanley Cup?

Perhaps, but as I have learned, don’t start getting giddy about a team until the last month of the season.

What the hell, I’ll make a prediction right now-Bruins over Red Wings for the Cup.

What’s that you say? I’m crazy?

Tell me something I didn’t know…