66°

News Briefs

News Briefs
News Briefs

The UMass Board of Trustees will be holding meetings Nov. 7 and 8 at UMass Lowell. The Development Committee will be meeting at noon, Committee on Academic and Student Affairs at 1:30 p.m. and Committee of the Whole at 4 p.m., all on Nov. 7, and the Board of Trustees meeting will be held at 9:15 a.m. Nov. 8. All meetings are scheduled in the Board Room of Cumnock Hall in UMass Lowell’s North Campus.

The “2006 Massachusetts Governor’s Race: Affordable Housing and Homelessness Website” launched by UMass Boston’s McCormack Graduate School of Policy Studies’ Center for Social Policy and Citizens’ Housing and Planning Association, along with other affordable housing and homelessness prevention advocates. The web site, http://www.mccormack.umb.edu/csp/govrace06, is intended to be non-partisan and will be updated daily through Nov. 7.

Kenneth Cooper, Pulitzer Prize-winning former national editor of the Boston Globe, will be a fellow at the Center on Media and Society at UMass Boston, for the 2006-2007 academic year. Cooper was a fellow at Harvard’s Kennedy Institute of Politics in the spring of 2006, and was a key part of the reporting team that won the Pulitzer Prize in for the Boston Globe for a 13-part series, “The Race Factor,” which examined race relations in Boston and other cities.

The Hillel at UMass Boston will have charity boxes set up in their office starting Nov. 6 to commemorate Jewish Social Action Month. The boxes will collect any amount of money people are willing to donate to spread to charities in both America and Israel. Those wishing to donate and to find out what organizations the money will be going to can find the Hillel office in the Student Life center.