63°

Sports Briefs

LEAVITT LEADS UMASS BOSTON CROSS COUNTRY AT NCAA III MEN’S AND WOMEN’S NEW ENGLAND REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS SPRINGFIELD, MA – Junior Mike Leavitt (Brockton, MA) finished 112th overall with a time of 28:07.2 to lead the University of Massachusetts Boston men’s cross country team today at the 2006 NCAA Division III Men’s and Women’s New England Regional Cross Country Championships hosted by Spring field College at the Veterans Golf Course in Springfield, MA.  Leavitt paced the Beacons to a 34th place team finish.   Senior Sarah Shapiro (Weymouth, MA) led the UMass Boston women with a time of 25:17.1 to place 121st overall in the six kilometer trek.  Ellen Davis of Wesleyan University broke the tape with a mark of 21:29.3 to finish first overall, while Middlebury College took the team event with 73 points. ROSS LEADS NEW ENGLAND COLLEGE WOMEN’S ICE HOCKEY OVER UMASS BOSTON, 3-1 BOSTON, MA – Elizabeth Ross assisted on the go-ahead goal and later netted an insurance tally to lead the New England College women’s ice hockey team over host University of Massachusetts Boston, 3-1, today in an ECAC East contest at the Clark Athletic Center on the campus of UMass Boston.  The Beacons fall to 0-4-0 on the season and 0-4-0 in ECAC East play, while the Pilgrims remain perfect at 4-0-0 and 4-0-0.     Ross combined with Emily Tanguay to find Sarah Tracey for her second goal of the season coming just 20 seconds into the third period on the power play for a 2-1 New England College margin.  Ross netted her sixth goal of the year when she scored unassisted with 4:20 left in the contest to give the Pilgrims a 3-1 lead.       New England College opened the scoring when Jennifer Gonzales fed Sarah Graham for her first goal of the season at 2:52 of the opening period for a 1-0 edge, but UMass Boston matched the score, on the power play, when senior forward Melissa Wigmore (Duxbury, MA) blasted a shot from the top of the circles that found the back of the net for her second goal of the campaign at 13:53 of the first period to make it 1-1.  Freshman goaltender Amanda Bourque (Cranston, RI) turned away 23 shots for the Beacons, while Danielle Giancola made 29 saves to earn the victory for the Pilgrims.     UMass Boston will be in action again on Wednesday, November 29 when it hosts Colby College at 7:00 p.m. in a non-conference match-up, while New England College travels to Rye, NY to take on Manhattanville College on November 18 at 3:00 p.m.