66°

News Briefs

News Briefs
News Briefs

Lux, a UMB student run magazine, hits the stands and will be available for the entire university community starting Nov. 17th. Once run solely by the UMass Boston honor’s program, Lux will now make itself readily available to the whole student population. The magazine will cover events, and student stories from within the UMass Boston community. *** UMass Boston’s Student Senate made several changes to their Student Events and Organization Committee (SEOC). Changes range from a newly formatted website to policy changes regarding student events. There is now only one SEOC form to fill out for all events, and is found at www.sga.umb.edu, but paper filings will still be granted from Nov. 6th to Nov. 20th. The rule changes also state that student organizations looking to plan events must now do so by first requesting a grant, and then have a representative on hand at the SEOC meeting. Any group that requests permission for an event, but fails to have representation at the SEOC meeting will not have their grant reviewed or approved. Because of the rule changes, anybody seeking up to $2,000 for an event can have that request approved within ten days.     *** UMass Boston will play host to the AIDS Memorial Quilt from Nov. 27 until Dec. 1. Touring the country, the Quilt will be on display on the second floor mezzanine of the Campus Center. Work on the AIDS Memorial Quilt began in 1987, and has grown to have around 5,748 panels, each measuring twelve by twelve feet. With 83,900 names inscribed onto the quilt, and over $3,250,000 raised towards its charitable causes, the AIDS Quilt has served to foster healing, heighten awareness, and inspire action in the struggle against HIV and AIDS. *** In his first meeting as Chair of the UMass Board of Trustees, Stephen Tocco said make a top priority for the affordability of education on the UMass campuses. One solution Tocco proposes is to freeze mandatory student fees, and he has likewise called for newly elect Governor Deval Patrick to keep his campaign promises to strengthen higher education in the commonwealth. Mr. Tocco took over as Chairman of the Board in what became known as a controversial vote implemented by Gov. Mitt Romney in order to position Tocco. *** Who do you want to appear the 2nd Annual Spring Concert Series? Student Senate, Student Life, and Student Affairs are looking for your input into what artist should play at UMass sometime in late April or early May. Last year it was Kanye West and this year it could be anyone, so send your ideas over to [email protected] before November 22. Give two choices for any artist you would like to see and how much you would be willing to spend to see them, and all the votes will be taken into consideration for the final decision. This is your event, so SPEAK UP!