63°

Governor’s Race Abstract

Election ballots this November 7th include the Governor’s race, therefore media coverage continues to revolve around Kerry Healey’s Republican-esque smear campaign attacking Democrat candidate Deval Patrick. Not since Mike Dukakis held the office from 1983-1990 has Massachusetts’ voting population elected a Democratic governor, however Patrick is set to buck this trend. Healey’s television commercials have delivered an exaggerated message to Massachusetts’ voters that Patrick is “soft on crime”. One cannot help but remember the viscous smear campaign launched during the most recent Presidential election, which was spearheaded by the Republican “Swift Boats for Truth” television commercials. Does anyone else despise smear campaigns, also referred to as “disgusting, cowardly mudslinging”?

The Governor’s Council is an unheralded political office at the state government level. In Massachusetts the Governor’s Council consists of eight elected officials representing their districts. The Governor’s Council plays an important role within Massachusetts state government. Those elected to the Governor’s Council are called upon to oversee the state’s judicial nominations, along with the Lt. Governor who serves as the ex-officio. According to the Governor’s Council web page at mass.gov, the Governor’s Council is supposed to “act on such issues as payments from the state treasury, criminal pardons and commutations, and approval of gubernatorial appointments; such as judges, notaries and justices of the peace.”

Many UMass Boston community members live in the 6th District. The 6th District consists of some parts of Boston, Cambridge, Lexington, Melrose and Saugus, as well as Arlington, Billerica, Burlington, Chelsea, Everett, Lynnfield, Malden, Medford, Reading, Revere, Saugus, Somerville, Stoneham, Wakefield, Winchester, Winthrop, and Woburn.

The race includes three candidates; Democrat Michael Callahan, Republican William Barabino and Independents Rosemary Macero and Ted Sarandis. Out of the aforementioned Governor’s Council candidates, Michael Callahan deserves special commendation. Callahan has represented the 6th District the past four terms. His is also a lifelong Medford resident and Vietnam veteran. The influence of the Governor’s Council determines which judicial nominees are fit to oversee Massachusetts’ courthouses. During four terms he has attentively reviewed every potential judicial appointment. As the Democrat candidate in the general election on November 7th, Callahan offers an experienced voice since he has served under three different governors. His Democratic ideals have played a significant part over the past eight years reviewing gubernatorial judicial nominations. Considering a Republican has held the Governor’s Office for a decade and a half, Democrat Governor’s Councilors act as counterweights to the Republican configured criminal justice system. Callahan understands the importance of closely reviewing the qualifications and temperament of judicial nominees.