66°

Sports Briefs

White named Rookie of the Week

University of Massachusetts Boston women’s volleyball player Kate White (Plymouth, MA) has been named Little East Conference Volleyball Rookie of the Week for her play during the week of September 11-17, it was announced today. White earns the award after helping the Beacons to a 2-0 week. The freshman averaged 3.4 kills with 27 in eight games, while owning a stellar .404 hitting percentage. The outside hitter also averaged 2.0 digs per game with 16 and served up four aces for the week. The Plymouth North High School product led UMass Boston in a 3-1 victory over Suffolk University on September 12 with 14 kills to go with nine digs and an ace, while maintaining a .258 hitting mark. White was instrumental in the Beacons’ 3-1 win over Wentworth Institute of Technology with a match-high 13 kills and an attention-getting .619 hitting percentage. She also added seven digs and matched her season-best with three aces.

***Leavitt Named Runner of the Week

University of Massachusetts Boston men’s cross country runner Mike Leavitt (Brockton, MA) has been named Little East Conference Men’s Cross Country Runner of the Week for his performance during the week of September 18-24, it was announced today. This marks the second time that Leavitt has earned the weekly honor. Leavitt earns the honor after posting a season-best time of 27:13 to place 44th in the USA Track and Field New England 39th Annual Codfish Bowl held at historic Franklin Park in Dorchester, MA. The junior paced the Beacons’ men’s squad to a 14th place team finish in the 7955 meter race.

Maniscalco Named Defensive Player of the Week

University of Massachusetts Boston men’s soccer player Paul Maniscalco (Boston, MA) has been named Little East Conference Men’s Soccer Defensive Player of the Week for his play during the week of September 18-24, it was announced today. It’s the second time in his career that he has earned the weekly honor. The sophomore was outstanding in net, allowing a goal or less in all three matches, while posting a 0.72 goals against average in 249:40 of action. The Hanover High School product stopped 21 shots and allowed just two goals for a .913 save percentage, while owning a perfect 3-0-0 record. The 6’1″ goalie didn’t allow a goal, while turning away all five shots he faced in 69:40 of action in a 5-2 win at Massachusetts Maritime Academy on September 19 and made a season-high 10 saves in a 3-1 triumph at Emerson College on September 21. The highlight of the week came two days later, when the second-year keeper made six stops, while preserving a 3-1 victory over Little East Conference foe Rhode Island College in the Beacons’ first win over the Anchormen since 1997.

***

UMB Names 2006 Hall of Fame Inductees

BOSTON, MA – The University of Massachusetts Boston has announced its 2006 Athletic Hall of Fame class today, naming Bussy Adam, Mary Barrett, Darrelle Boyd, John Caccamo, Paul Curran, Rodney Forbes, Sherman Hart, Bill Innocent, Frank McCarthy, Michael Mitchell, Robert Reardon and Gordon Webb along with the 1965-66 Boston State men’s ice hockey team, as its new inductees. The electees were voted in by a 13-member Hall of Fame committee in May and will be formally inducted at a ceremony on October 12, 2006 at 5:30 p.m. in the Campus Center ballroom on the campus of UMass Boston. Tickets are $65 and can be purchased by calling 617-287-7801.