66°

UMASS BRINGS IT HOME

Preview: Volleyball
Preview: Volleyball

Statistics compiled by Alan Wickstrom

UMass volleyball came out strong with a rousing victory in front of a pumped home crowd at the Clark Athletic center on Wednesday the 27th. Freshman outside hitter Kate White smashed a season-high 20 kills, while owning a .306 hitting percentage and scooping a match-high 19 digs to lead the Beacons over Western New England College 30-26, 30-25, 31-33, 30-24, narrowly missing a straight sets win. Junior Captain Denise Hill said she loved this game, “We were so focused, we worked so hard [and] this team didn’t want it the way we wanted it.”

White added two aces and a pair of assisted blocks to her stellar performance. UMass Boston freshman outside hitter Megan MacAuley spiked for 13 kills on a .258 hitting mark to go with 18 digs, while freshman middle hitter Natalie Crist put down 11 kills and added a match-best four block assists and a service ace. Sophomore setter Randle Stock set for a season-high 42 assists in addition to three kills in four attempts, five digs, three block assists and an ace.

The match went back and forth through the first three games, each one being a neck and neck battle that could have gone either way. The tension and excitement mounted as the Beacons took a big lead early in the fourth game. The girls from Western New England managed to start up an implausible comeback but UMass volleyball was determined to put them away. After a crucial time out called by Head Coach Terry Condon, to let her players regroup, the team rallied for a decisive finish to the game and the match.

Hill was excited for her team, especially the younger players like White, who she has seen improve and impress as the season has developed. She said, “I can’t be any more proud, [and] couldn’t expect anymore [from the team] than what I just saw tonight; everyone played well.”

White attributes much of the team’s success so far this season, including a recent six game win streak, to road trips. She explained, “Since we’ve been on a lot of [them] we have had time to bond, so we know each other and how we play.” This bonding has clearly translated to success on the court and to drawing a bigger crowd for home games. When asked for other reasons why more people should come out to see this winning team, she added, “We wear spandex.”

The next scheduled home game is on Tuesday October 10th v. Salem State College at the Clark Athletic Center. Tip off is at 6pm.