57°

Explore the Door-Next-Door: Dorchester @ Night!

Most people don’t think to search Dorchester for night-life or fine dining, especially college students. But, Dorchester and South Boston is our stomping ground. With a little exploration the city isn’t half bad and sometimes you’ve just got to represent. After a long day at school some unwinding is just what one needs before returning home. I surveyed some Dorchester hot spots and found a classy place right off the Broadway T-stop. Amrhein’s Restaurant as been around since 1890 and has the country’s oldest hand-crafted bar, but this place is far from rickety, it’s newly renovated. Even though the sign on the door describes it as “family dining” it looks more suitable for a family of friends. The interior is modernized, but maintains the feel of authenticity and early American culture. The dark polished wooden booths, bar, and tables give the place a stylish and upscale feel. Upon entering the hostess was speedy, pleasant and efficient, giving us the choice between the bar, high booths or a window seat. After moseying over to the window seats which allowed the setting sun to stream across our laps, we knew we found a hidden gem amongst the surrounding eateries, diners, and gas stations. Amrhein’s is like you’re in another world one far removed from the outside bustle of city life. Maybe it was the atmosphere or maybe it was Monday’s featured drink a Frozen Mudslide, which my fellow diner delightfully expressed was “good… good and strong!”. The menu was modernized American cuisine, full of variety – with about half of the items considerably diet-friendly. The waitress was friendly, attractive and efficient. After ordering the atmosphere lent itself to easy conversation and the clientele were mostly upbeat. Everyone seemed to be having a real good time (ahem, frozen mudslides). The restaurant is spacious, the high top chairs are debonair and the chandeliers are gorgeous. With daily specials from $10-15 and entrees $15-19 you don’t have to break the bank if you don’t want to. An appetizer trio is only $15 and enough for two people to share as an entrée if you’re looking for a cheap date. With seafood, pasta, modern cuisine and classics such as well portioned burgers and state-renowned steak tips there is something for everyone. Aside from soup and salad, Vegetarian Risotto is offered for herbivores. Amrhein’s serves one of the best salads I’ve ever tried: Raspberry Goat Cheese Salad ($12) was the perfect fusion of sweet and tangy. Raspberry whipped cream decorated the crisp fresh baby greens drizzled with a tangy vinaigrette, sprinkled with candied walnuts and lightly fried goat cheese – simply remarkable. Two out of the three appetizers gained approval by all guests; the argula topped lobster crab cake and buttermilk chicken fingers (w/sweet chili sauce) went over well and the portions were perfect for all to enjoy. The entrees arrived timely with excellent presentation and a devotion to color articulation: a purple lily rested against the pale pink of salmon and vibrant green steamed spinach. My guest described the entrée as “just delicious”. If you’re attempting to avoid dessert (myself included) don’t dare open the dessert menu; between $5-7 the desserts were diverse: raspberry sorbet with fresh berries (diet-friendly) and Tiramisu. For a Monday evening the place was moderately busy, but I couldn’t help but imagine a weekend night – Amrhein’s would be the perfect place for a get together, ladies night out, and excellent for a date (I’d suggest the back half booth/half tables which ensure intimate privacy). Amrhein’s was one of the best dining experiences I’ve had in a while; the portions were perfect, the selection was divine, and the price pretty good just not for a regular basis. I recommend giving it a try some night after class or on the weekend, it also was a nice break from the typically chaotic crowds Downtown Boston restaurants frequent.Amrhein’s Restaurant80 West BroadwaySouth Boston, MA Red Line: Broadway(617) 263-6159