66°

Shamelessly Using Pizza

Shamelessly Using Pizza

The Watermark, the journal of arts and literature on campus, wants submissions. And they’re willing to put their money where your mouth is. Last semester, the journal hosted two pizza parties to encourage students to drop by with submissions. The events were so successful, leading to dozens of submissions, that the magazine is repeating the event this semester.

The Watermark has been a staple of campus life for more than a decade. Over the past few years, the journal has gone from one issue per year to one issue per semester; they’ve also added more pages for student work. “We have such talent among the student body here at UMass Boston,” says Rosie Healy, Editor-in-Chief of The Watermark. “We’re really here to showcase those talents.”

The journal has achieved a higher profile this year, as it will be distributed off campus in bookstores around Boston. “We’re really excited about the off-campus distribution,” Healy adds, “because it gives further opportunity to students to get attention to their work in the wider literary community in Boston.”

The journal is looking for student submissions in non-fiction (academic and creative), fiction, art, and poetry. Cash awards are provided for one winner in each category. The submission deadline this year is March 17.

The first event is being held on March 5, from 2-6PM in the Watermark offices on the 2nd Floor of the Campus Center. The second event is being held Friday, March 16 from 2-6 PM.

Staff and editors will be on hand to answer questions, provide submission forms, and feed students free pizza and soft drinks.

For further information, or special needs accommodations, contact [email protected] or call 617-287-7960.