66°

Spring Sports Preview: Softball

...Out of Here: The Veterans Project at the ICA
…Out of Here: The Veterans Project at the ICA

Like most of the sports at UMass Boston, the softball team is going through a resurgence led by third-year coach Amy Zombeck. Last year, the team registered a school record for wins and this year’s edition will only build on last year’s success with an influx of new talent and a returning core of veteran players.

The core of the team is a trio of multi-sport athletes in third baseman Andrea Ciarletta (hockey), Katherine Wall (soccer, hockey) and Jen Widener (basketball), all of who made the second team all-conference last year. Ciarletta, an offensive star on the ice, proved to be just as dangerous on the diamond, leading the team with a .414 batting average and 14 doubles while also knocking in a team high 29 runs. Wall provided the pop in the Lady Beacons lineup smacking three round-trippers to lead the team and hitting at a robust .380 clip, while also showing why she is one of UMass Boston’s only three-season athletes by stealing 19 bases in 20 attempts. Widener completes the heart of this lineup, coming off a year in which she hit a robust .294 with a homer and 15 RBI.

The Beacons will also be getting a shot in the arm in the form of highly touted freshman outfielders Mariah Wilcox and Shannon Doherty. Wilcox comes to Harbor Point from Kennett high school in Conway, New Hampshire, where she was the team captain and was named to the All-State team as a senior. Doherty is a highly recruited centerfielder from Duxbury, Massachusetts, who helped lead her Duxbury High School team to consecutive Patriot League championships her junior and senior years and got some looks from Division I Seton Hall before committing to UMass Boston.

There are still some questions as to how exactly all of these pieces will fit together, but once Coach Zombeck sets her lineup, UMass Boston softball should be ready to continue its upward trend.

Ben Whelan served for the following positions at The Mass Media for the following years: Editor-in-Chief: Spring 2009; 2009-2010. News Editor: Spring 2008; Fall 2008 Sports Editor: 2006-2007