66°

News Briefs

News Briefs
News Briefs

Want to get involved with student government? Nomination forms are available for Student Senate. Submit the form by 5PM, April 5 to the Student Life office. Forms can be found in the Student Life office or on the Senate Web site, www.sga.umb.edu Elections held April 18, 19 and 20.

A Housing Options Forum will be conducted April 4 from 6 to 8 p.m. in the Ryan Lounge on the 3rd floor of the McCormack building. Students are encouraged to show up and voice their opinions on housing options on campus. If you have a strong opinion on dorms then please show up.

A fundraiser to increase awareness and aid for children in Sudan will be held April 4. The event seeks to raise money to increase safety, education and overall quality of life, but is also seeking to raise awareness among American students. The event will be at the Revolution Rock Bar on 200 High St. in downtown Boston.

UMass Boston Students Help Vietnamese Communities in Gulf Coast Region. In an effort to help victims of Hurricane Katrina, students from the Resources in Vietnamese Studies (AsAmSt 294) class went down to the Gulf region where they helped rebuild communities in Biloxi, MS, and New Orleans, LA. The class went down during spring break, and was delayed from flying out of Logan Airport on the scheduled day of Friday, March 16 because of a snow storm in Boston. The twenty-three students helped the Vietnamese community in several fields; by organizing a survey to help coordinators understand the areas’ futures, by investigating environmental issues in the Vietnamese American locales, by studying the prospects for future business in the area, by helping rebuild the community garden, and by real-estate students helping evaluate the future value of the area.