66°

Three Beacons Earn Post-Season Honors

UMass Boston’s Tony Barros, Amigo Paniagua and Rodney Bennett all garnered post-season honors when the All-Little East Conference teams were announced, with Barros and Paniagua earning spots on the All-Conference first team and Bennett being placed on the All-Defensive team.

Barros, a senior swingman for the Beacons averaged a league leading 23.5 points per game while also leading the league in steals (3.19spg) and three pointers made (84). Barros was named to the All-Conference three times as well and set school records for career steals while finishing second on the all-time school list in points. His 46 point night against Colby-Sawyer and his 48 point night against Western Connecticut were the two highest single game performances in the conference this year. This is the second straight year where Barros has made the All-Conference team and was named to the second team All-conference as a sophmore.

Paniagua, a junior guard from the Dominican Republic, averaged 14.8ppg while also pulling down 7rpg and dishing 3apg. Paniagua also led the conference in three point field goal percentage (48.3 percent) and often played stellar defense against much larger post players all season. This is the second straight year that Paniagua has been named to the First Team All-Conference, as he made the team as a sophomore as well

Bennett, a sophomore center, is also making his second straight appearance on the All-Conference Defensive team and was one of the leagues most dominating defensive presences in the low-post. Bennett led the conference in both blocks (43) and blocks per game (1.79) this year, despite missing the last three games of the season for personal reasons. Bennett also averaged 6.7rpg to go along with 19 steals.