66°

News Briefs

News Briefs
News Briefs

Come to Open Meeting of the Chancellor’s Strategic Planning Task Force Subcommittee on Student Life. The meeting will be held on April 19 between 2:30-4 p.m. in the Point Lounge of the Campus Center. The subcommittee will update the student body on the important work of this group in designing a new future for campus life at the university. Issues to be discussed include organization and delivery of student life on campus, the consideration of residence halls, and the fundamental principles that will form the future of student life at the university.

Non-Aligned Club assists in raising more than $75,000 for Darfur Refugee Camps. In order to publicly express solidarity with those suffering in Darfur, The Greater Boston Coalition to Save Darfur, which is affiliated with Non-Aligned Club, will host “Boston Night for Darfur” at the Royal Sonesta Hotel in Cambridge on April 22. Hundreds of people-academics, professionals, human rights activists, politicians, artists, musicians and ordinary citizens-are joining together to raise money for CARE and Doctors Without Borders, two organizations that are providing humanitarian aid to the people of Darfur and that are working to end this humanitarian crisis. The honorary co-chairs of the event are Senators Kerry and Kennedy and Governor Patrick, and the night will feature participants ranging from Pulitzer Prize winners to Jane Pauley of NBC. The minimum donation level is $100 and there will be a pre-event reception for donors who contribute $250 or more. Please visit the website at www.bostonnightfordarfur.com to download a donation form and purchase tickets.

Can you solve the Middle East crisis? If so, contact Leila Farsakh, assistant professor of political science at UMass Boston and co-director of Jerusalem 2050, a project intent on providing new answers to the ongoing Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Experts from around the world have come to the Bay State to share their ideas as to how Juresalem may become a city intent on serving its’ citizens, rather than being the current day hot-bed of violence and strife. Jerusalem 2050: Vision for a Place of Peace challenges the world’s greatest minds-including those from Israel and Palestine-to use imagination and creativity to determine how Jerusalem can become a vibrant and democratic urban center. The project is sponsored by MIT, where Farsakh is a research affiliate at the Center for International Studies. For more information on the Just Jerusalem Competition please visit http://web.mit.edu/justjerusalem

Hub Pols Sponsor UMass Boston in Program to Combat Violence in Boston. In their fight against violence on the streets, Governor Deval Patrick and Boston Mayor Thomas Menino discussed reducing youth and gang violence with unique interventions, including a program under evaluation by UMass Boston’s Center for Social Development and Education (CSDE). The program, which is run by Teen Empowerment and Boston Centers for Family and Youth (BCYF), privately funded and evaluated by a team of CSDE researchers, empowers Boston youth to champion the message of non-violent conflict resolution by conducting workshops within their community. The program aims to effect kids through the philosophy that the best way to reach adolescents in the community is through their fellow peers.