66°

Kingston-Mann Scholarship Deadline

The New England Center for Inclusive Teaching, Learning, Curriculum Change and Scholarship (NECIT) is accepting submissions for the Third Annual Esther Kingston-Mann Student Achievement Prize: Excellence in Diversity & Inclusion Scholarship.

The competition awards students who prove achievements in scholarship that focuses on questions of diversity and inclusion. The committee will seek submissions of work that 1) apply a gender, race, culture/ethnicity, religion, socio-economic class, age, disability, or sexual orientation analysis to research in any discipline, or 2) focus on the contributions of women and men of diverse backgrounds to society, history, culture, or thought in any area of study. Interdisciplinary approaches and analyses that consider the intersection of multiple dimensions of diversity are particularly encouraged.

Submitted works can include any works given by any faculty member at UMass Boston, or directly submitted by the students themselves. Research papers, essays (academic and personal), and other written work from all courses at all undergraduate levels may be submitted. Interdisciplinary work is encouraged. Please note that a 1-2 page interpretative essay (including connections to inclusive scholarship) must accompany the following types of submissions: poetry, short fiction, architectural plans, computer programs, student teachers’ portfolios (e.g., philosophy of teaching, lesson plans/curriculum unit, samples of Pre-K-12 students’ writing as a result of student teacher’s instruction), statistical or laboratory work, and visual arts.

$150.00 will be awarded to each of 8 winners, as well as a number of Honorable Mentions.