66°

UM”be” Mine

UMbe Mine
UM’be’ Mine

Dear UMBeMine-I love my job and I like the people here. But recently, I noticed that a manager and a new worker are having a relationship in the workplace. No one else seems to have picked up on this. I know it’s not my business, but I’m really tight with my supervisor and tell him everything. What should I do? Should I let him know what’s going on?Watching Worker in Dorchester

Dear Watching Worker,This is an extremely delicate situation. Both the manager and new worker (but especially the manager) should know that carrying on a relationship in the workplace is totally inappropriate. Just the knowledge of it can make some uncomfortable, while others (ifthey know about it) might feel this new person is getting special treatment just because of an affair with the boss.Yes, I think you should tell your supervisor. If this is going on, it needs to stop, for the sake of everyone who works there. And if no one else knows about it yet, then help stop it before others find out

and it becomes a “scandal”. The manager needs to know that kind of behavior is unethical and s/he shouldn’t be able to get away with it. And the new employee needs to know that isn’t how your company operates typically.

Finally, the rest of the employees should be spared the drama that always follows an office “fling”. If this thing is stopped now, maybe the confusion and annoyances that would definitely come after the whole thing blew up in their faces, can be avoided.Believe me, you’re doing everyone a favor by telling your supervisor, and you can do it in confidence. No one has to know it was you who spilled the beans.Love, ‘Cat

Got a burning question for ‘Cat & ‘Chester? Send an e-mail to [email protected]. Your privacy is guaranteed.