66°

The Beacon Spotlight

The Beacon Spotlight
The Beacon Spotlight

This week’s Beacons Spotlight is split between men’s lacrosse players Peter Kovach, who was named Little East Conference Rookie of the Week, and Nicholas Eaton who was tabbed the Defensive Player of the Week for the week of April 9-15.

Kovach was in the giving mood all week, racking up 5.0 points per game in three matches, with 12 of his 15 points coming on assists. The sophomore also collected 19 ground balls on the week to average 6.3 per game. He began the week with a pair of assists and season-high eight ground balls in the Beacons’ 11-10 double-overtime loss to Massachusetts Maritime Academy on April 10. He busted out with a personal-best seven assists vs. Southern Maine on April 12, while adding seven ground balls in UMass Boston’s 13-3 Little East Conference victory and registered six points on three goals and three assists in addition to four ground balls vs. LEC foe Plymouth State University in UMass Boston’s 13-9 triumph on April 14.

Eaton was named the league’s top defender after posting a 7.41 goals against average in 186:11 minutes of play, while stopping 38 shots for a .623 save percentage and an average of 12.7 saves per outing. He also picked up five ground balls on the week. The senior turned away 12 shots and picked up three ground balls in a double-overtime loss to Mass Maritime, but came back to stop 18 of 21 shots for an impressive .857 save mark in UMass Boston’s win over Southern Maine. He capped the week with eight saves and two ground balls vs. Plymouth State.