63°

Sports Briefs

UMASS BOSTON’S BELMONTE NAMED ECAC EAST WOMEN’S ICE HOCKEY PLAYER OF THE WEEK UMass Boston women’s ice hockey player Melissa Belmonte has been named the Eastern College Athletic Conference East Player of the Week for the week of Jan. 29 to Feb. 4, it was announced today.  It’s the second time in her career that she has earned the honor.  In three games on the week, the senior put the Beacons on her back and tallied nine points on seven goals and two assists, including three multiple-goal efforts.  The forward began the week by scoring both of UMass Boston’s goals in a 2-1 victory over University of Southern Maine on January 31. She followed that with two more goals, including her school-record tying fifth power play score of the season, to help the Beacons to a 4-1 win over visiting Saint Michael’s College on February 3. The Fontbonne Academy product saved her best for last, registering her seventh career hat trick in addition to a pair of assists to give her a season-high five points in a 7-4 UMass Boston triumph over Castleton State College on February 4. UMASS BOSTON’S BARROS NAMED LITTLE EAST CONFERENCE MEN’S BASKETBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK FOR THIRD TIME UMass Boston men’s basketball player Tony Barros has been named the Little East Conference Player of the Week for the week of Jan. 29 to Feb. 4 it was announced today by the conference.  He has been named the league’s top weekly player three times this season, having been honored for the weeks of Nov. 20 to 26 and Jan. 15 to 21 and is the only player in the conference to have garnered the award more than once this season.  He has captured the honor seven times in his career, including three times last year as well. In the Beacons’ only game of the week, the senior poured in 25 points on 5-12 from the floor, including 4-7 from three-point range for a .571 mark and was a 79 percent free throw shooter, knocking down 11 of 14 tries. He also added four rebounds and a blocked shot to go with a season-high seven steals to become UMass Boston’s all-time career leader with 238 thefts.