66°

It’s Official! Motley Ready to Rumble

Motley displays both pridse and a massive medallion. “This is real bling,” he said kater. “[Kids should] work to get some of this.”

On Nov. 9, Chancellor Keith Motley was officially installed in his role in front of an enthusiastic crowd filling the Clark Athletic Center. Among those in attendance were UMass system President Jack Wilson, UMass Board of Trustees Chairman Stephen Tocco, Governor Deval Patrick, Boston Mayor Thomas Menino and Motley’s family.

Motley’s inauguration as Chancellor comes after having been Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs in 2003 and Interim Chancellor in 2004. He is the first African-American to hold the position at UMass Boston, and the first African-American to hold the role at a major research university in the greater Boston area.

“I’ve felt official from the beginning,” Motley said after the inauguration. “The ceremony made it on paper, but when I was named chancellor back in June, I felt the support of the community that made it official. The ceremony brings it home, but I’ve never felt like less of a chancellor. I have some new jewelry [referencing the Medallion of Office], but I’m going to serve the same way.”

Menino, a graduate of UMass Boston’s College of Public and Community Service and a huge supporter of Motley when he was Interim Chancellor, spoke on behalf of the city of Boston on how UMass Boston plays a role in the area.

“This is an important day for UMass Boston and the city of Boston,” Menino said during the inauguration. “Here in Boston, I see renowned universities and colleges. UMass Boston plays a special role. It is the only university with an urban mission. This mission includes making education available to a diverse population. […] Mr. Chancellor, I am so thrilled to stand here today as this university embarks on a new chapter of its journey. I look forward to strengthening our partnership and I wish you the best of luck on this journey.”

Wilson, who offered welcoming remarks at the beginning of the ceremony and led the Ceremony of Investiture, where Motley was presented with the Medallion of Office, was excited to see this day come.

“I know it’s a dream come true for him, and it’s a dream come true for me to see him lead the campus,” Wilson said after the inauguration. “He is exactly the right person to lead it at the right time. I knew that, and that’s why I’ve been so anxious to get him here. He’s going to lead this campus to new heights, and I hope he’s here for a long time.”

In his address, Motley spoke about his global vision for the university and how he wants to make UMass Boston “the nation’s most outstanding urban public university,” echoing statements made in his September convocation address. He used the terms “return and renewal” to demonstrate his point, and hint at his return as head of UMass Boston.

Motley also said that he is working towards “an administration committed to setting and exceeding stretch goals for excellence, innovation, transparency, inclusiveness and humanity” during his speech, and believes that this is not different from what he has been doing.

“[Students, faculty and staff] can expect me to have the same student-centered approach to things,” Motley said after the inauguration. “Students are always going to be at the center of everything I do and all of my decisions.”