63°

News Briefs

News Briefs
News Briefs

Gaston Institute Holds Fall Speaker SeriesRosa Maria Castaneda, a research associate for the Urban Institute in Washington, DC is speaking at UMass Boston on Nov. 14 at 1 p.m. Held in the Campus Center Conference Room, the speech was organized by the Mauricio Gaston Institute for their Fall Speaker Series. The event will last until 2:30 p.m., is free, open to the public, and lunch will be provided.

Flu Shots Available to Students and StaffUniversity Health Services is holding a flu vaccine clinic from Nov. 5 to Nov. 7. The vaccines will be available from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on the second floor of the Quinn building. The cost is $22 for faculty and staff, $12 for students and free for those who have UMass Boston’s Chickering Health Insurance. There is no appointment needed to get the shot.

Voices of Recovery at UMass BostonThe Health Education and Wellness Center at UMass Boston is holding a meeting on Nov. 7 at 3:30 p.m. focused on supporting recovery for students. Titled “The Voices of Recovery,” the meeting will be held on the second floor of the Campus Center. For more information, contact Linda Jorgensen at [email protected](mailto link) or visit umbwellness.org.

UMass Lowell Student Develops Technology for Man with Cerebral PalsyVictor Piper, an electrical engineering student at UMass Lowell designed and created a keyboard with eZiText-enabled driver software to allow Yeth John Kong to improve the speed of his text input on his computer. Yeth, who has cerebral palsy, came to the UMass Lowell Assistive Technology Program for help, and Piper designed the device using eZiText, a predictive type program to “make a difference in Yeth’s life.”

Web Site Created to Inform Students About 2008 ElectionsScoop08, an interactive journalistic adventure to inform students on topics surrounding the 2008 Presidential Election, debuted its first edition on Nov. 4. Created by a junior at Yale University and a senior at Phillips Academy Andover, Scoop08 is a grassroots operation providing opportunities for political interaction and participation to readers including feature articles, editorial digests, podcasts, video reports, weblogs and others. To read more and to get involved, visit www.scoop08.com.